Friday, May 13, 2005

Holy Spirit in NT

Was listening to Debbie Forster again in the car today.
She was comparing the experience of the Holy Spirit in the Old Testament with that in the New. She described the work of the HS in the OT as being 'sporadic' - he comes upon people here and there and it's mostly temporary and for a particular purpose. He comes upon 'special' people as well - prophets and such. It's an outward 'resting upon' idea as well.
But the NT experience is an inward - and continuing - filling of the Spirit. We are living in the fulfillment of the prophecy in Joel:

"I will pour out my Spirit on all people...
Even on my servants, both men and women,
I will pour out my Spirit in those days." Joel 2:28-29
(emphasis mine!)

It's no longer a trickle.. now the Spirit is poured out on all people!
And he is no longer just resting on us for a short while... now he is with us forever, working inside us!

0 comments: