Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Alt-click to Answers

I love Internet/windows tools which are invisible and unobtrusive until you need them, at which point they are simple and quickly accessed. A recent favourite has been the alt+click tool from Answers.com. I got rid of the docking bar, etc. and the only obvious sign that it's installed is that it appears on the right-click context menu in IE. But I have used the alt+click operation on numerous occasions to access information on various topics at Answers.com. On occasion I have intended to access the dictionary when I've been curious about the actual definition for a phrase or technical term, but more often it is the Wikipedia entry which has proved the most helpful. For example, today I have used this method to quickly find out what a website author meant by 'MST3K' and later the 'memex').

0 comments: