Thursday, April 06, 2006

The vote is open

I've finally finished selecting my 10 images of space and it's been fantastic to remind myself just how beautiful the universe is.

Some decisions were hard to make.. which nebulae would make it to the final cut?

Here's some images which were near-rejects:
Cygnus loop shockwave
Eskimo Nebula
Spiral galaxies collide
...and many others!

You may disagree with my choices, but all the images I chose have a particular significance.

I'm curious to know which are people's favourites and whether everyone has the same idea of beauty... Let me know your top 3 from the 10 images I've picked.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

10, 5, 6 for me.

cfg said...

I'm still pondering my own favourites!

But for me the Hubble Ultra Deep Field (no. 4) has to be one of the most awe-inspiring images ever. What it lacks in aesthetics it more than makes up for in sheer grandness. Incredible to realise that every single point of light in that image is a galaxy, 10000 of them in that tiny speck of sky. And even our nearest galaxy is 19 million billion km (2 million light years) away!

It's impossible to believe that the universe could be this immense, so completely formed and beautifully expressed.. and for what purpose? Countless sights and events like the ones in these images; it's beyond our imagining. This is grandeur and beauty beyond our capacity to enjoy or appreciate, declaring the glory and majesty of our God. How can this not lead us to praise?!

"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands." (Psalm 19:1)

"When I consider your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars, which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him?" (Psalm 8:3-4)

Dave said...

2, 8, 7 for me. In that order I think.