Wednesday, May 03, 2006

"For your sake, O my God"

"Give ear, O God, and hear; open your eyes and see the desolation of the city that bears your Name. We do not make requests of you because we are righteous, but because of your great mercy. O Lord, listen! O Lord, forgive! O Lord, hear and act! For your sake, O my God, do not delay, because your city and your people bear your Name." (Daniel 9:18-19)

I have previously posted on praying in Jesus' name, but I started thinking again this evening about what it means to pray for the sake of God's name.

In Deuteronomy 9 Moses tells the Israelites that the LORD will give them victory not because of their own righteousness, (on the contrary they are "a stiff-necked people"), but because of the promise he made to their forefathers. He reminds them of their rebellion 40 years earlier at Mount Horeb and points out, "You have been rebellious against the LORD ever since I have known you." (v.24) Moses reminds them that he lay prostate before the LORD for 40 days and 40 nights praying for them, because they had made the LORD angry and he said he would destroy them.

As he prays, Moses is clear-headed enough to realise that the Israelites deserve judgement and the only thing left in their favour is that they are the LORD's own, that they are called by his name:

"Overlook the stubborness of this people, their wickedness and their sin. Otherwise, the country from which you brought us will say, 'Because the LORD was not able to take them into the land he had promised them, and because he hated them, he brought them out to put them to death in the desert.' But they are your people, your inheritance that you brought out by your great power and your outstretched arm."

It's almost as if Moses is appealing to God's pride, for lack of a better word. For better or worse, He has staked his reputation (his 'name') and his honour on rescuing the Israelites, and has promised to bring them to the promised land. So there's really no option...

The LORD doesn't reply directly at first, but he invites Moses to return up the mountain with some new stone tablets (he broke the first set) - a 'let's try this again'.

Moses ends the recollection by recounting God's almost-resigned instruction to get going:

"'Go,' the LORD said to me, 'and lead the people on their way, so that they may enter and possess the land that I swore to their fathers to give them.'"


(On a side note, while these are a people who define themselves by their relationship with "the LORD our God", their God most frequently references himself by relationship with them: "the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.")


In John's Gospel, Jesus' encouragment to ask 'in my name' is tied together with his identification of himself with the Father:

"How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? ... And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it." (John 14:9-14)

And again, in John 16:

"Now is your time of grief, but I will see you again and you will rejoice, and no-one will take away your joy. In that day you will no longer ask me anything. I tell you the truth, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name. Until now, you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will recieve, and your joy will be complete.

"Though I have been speaking figuratively, a time is coming when I will no longer use this kind of language but will tell you plainly about my Father. In that day you will ask in my name. I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf." (v. 22-26)

And later, in his prayer in John 17:
"Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name - the name you gave me - so that they may be one as we are one. While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me." (v.11-12)

God has given his name to Jesus - which is why Jesus is able to refer to himself as 'I am' (most clearly in John 8:58). In other words, to pray in Jesus' name is to pray in God's name. When he tells the disciples that they haven't asked in his name up to this point (v. 24), he's saying that they haven't recognised just who he is. To ask in Jesus' name is to recognise that he is Lord and God.

"Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father."
(Philippians 2:9-11)

What name has God given Jesus, the 'name above every name', except his own?


This deserves further reflection, but I'll leave it there for this evening. Comments or ideas anyone?

0 comments: