Monday, May 22, 2006

Feel it?

'Worship is like love: the more you do it the more you feel it.'

Jesus said, "where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." (Luke 12:34) I've heard this amusingly referred to as "where your investment is, there your interest will be also." There's so much truth in this - in the same way we closely follow the fortunes of our material investments, our hearts are also interested in our investments of time and energy. Jesus is talking about storing up treasure in heaven, making the point that if we invest more deeply in God's kingdom, then our eyes and hearts will inevitably follow.

When we worship, as when we love, we make an 'investment' in something other than ourselves. It's a mysterious truth that when we invest time and energy in a relationship, when we give our focus and attention to someone else, we find ourselves caring about them more than when we begun. That seems backwards to most people - why would you want to invest in someone you didn't care about? Why would you show love to someone that you didn't feel love towards?

I've been reflecting on the way we often seem to have that same sense when we come to worship God. But it would be a poor show if we only worshipped when we felt like it. Yes, our worship should be true and more than mere words, but my sense is that - like love - it ultimately springs from a decision, rather than an emotion. We ultimately worship, not because we feel like it, or even because God feels particularly real to us today or He's answered our prayers (although these are all good reasons!), but because He is overwhelmingly worthy of praise.

We sung Tim Hughes' song Almighty God last night, which reminds us that "If we did not praise, the rocks would cry out". There's obviously a lot more that could be said on the majesty and awesomeness of God, but I hope you'll be able to fill in the gaps...

My current reflection, however, is based on my initial statement. It is my experience, and I imagine I am not alone, that worshipping God, whether it started as a 'natural' response, or a conscious decision, tends to make us more worshipful. I apologise if this seems completely obvious to you; it is the first time I have articulated it this way. I notice in myself, particularly in singing songs of worship, but also in reading worship in scripture, that my feelings of wonder and thankfulness and, well, worship, tend to increase with use. In general, the more I worship, the more I feel like worshipping.

My cynical self wonders if this is in some way related to the way we often worship in groups, encouraging each other, or the way in which music tends to improve our mood generally. But since both of these aspects feature heavily in worship throughout Scripture, I can't help but conclude that any positive effect they have is altogether intended. In fact, both seem almost designed for worship. The Church is foremost a worshipping community, and if any creative expression has supernatural dimensions, it is surely music.

0 comments: