Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Voyages

I enjoyed The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and all the different adventures they have on their way to the edge of the world, but I have to admit it's not been one of my favourites so far. I have the feeling though, that perhaps there are further depths to some elements of this story than occured to me on this reading. Do you know the feeling that there might be more beneath that you're not seeing...?

I enjoyed the island of the Dufflepuds and the wizard Coriakin. As he says, they are a stupid people but he is rather fond of them, and "impatient, waiting for the day when they can be governed by wisdom instead of this rough magic."
"All in good time," Aslan says, explaining that he will not show himself to them yet because he would frighten them out of their senses!

I love the last section of the book, when they reach the end of the world. The imagery is so beautiful and unexpected. I love the sea of lilies and the water that sustains them, then the way the Sun gets bigger and brighter until they can see the mountains of Aslan's country behind. Reepicheep's final voyage into the unknown is one of my favourite character moments in the books - his desire for a last great adventure knows no doubts or fear.."he was quivering with happiness".

And then they're invited to a breakfast of fish with the Lamb.. who of course turns out to be Aslan. I love the way this echoes the risen Jesus inviting his disciples to breakfast on the shores of the Sea of Galilee (John 21). Lewis excels in picturing these moments in such a way that it enriches my understanding and appreciation of the original story without adding anything extra to it. Here, the children having breakfast with the pure white Lamb makes my image of Jesus by the lake stand out so much clearer!

Lucy asks Aslan whether he will tell them how to reach his country and he answers in his usual style: "I shall be telling you all the time...it lies across a river. But do not fear that, for I am the great Bridge Builder." What a great description!

0 comments: