Monday, June 27, 2005

Looking for guidance

At the end of last week I found myself considering once again how we find answers to the question, 'what do I do next?'

Looking for guidance.. not something where there are any simple answers!
But I always want something practical to stick my teeth into so I had a think about some of the things which I rely on when considering that question myself. These are the four things I came up with:

1) Ask - actively pray, journal, talk to people, investigate options..
2) Listen - read the Bible, take some quiet time, listen to what people say, to the Spirit inside you, have some time-out somewhere
3) Do - sometimes, when you're standing still and at a blank, I think it's better just to leap out and do *something* (rather than sitting still, doing nothing).
I always think God's impatience with Moses et al in Exodus 14:15 says something of this:
"Then the LORD said to Moses, Why are you crying out to me? Tell the Israelites to move on."
4) Don't Panic! I included this last one because it seems like sometimes we get near-paralysed with worrying about whether we're doing what God wants us to do. Obviously, it's important to be concerned about doing God's will and taking the path he's made for us, but sometimes God is silent and the way to go isn't clear. In those times I think we can do worse than go with common sense, or follow the passion of our hearts. (Perhaps controversial?!)

In the end, I think our motivation determines whether we end up taking the right road. If we're concerned to honour God and to follow Him, to go wherever he sends us, I believe He will honour that and we don't need to keep worrying.

The following verses all say something of the above ('don't panic'):

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight."

Proverbs 3:5-6

"A man’s heart plans his way, but the Lord directs his steps."
Proverbs 16:9

"Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass. Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him."
Psalm 37:4

"Although the Lord gives you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, your teachers will be hidden no more; with your own eyes you will see them. Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, 'This is the way; walk in it.'" Isaiah 30:20-21

We often ask questions like these: Is this the right path? Am I doing the right thing?? Or even, am I making the best choice? Is this the straightest path?

Good questions to ask, but I think the key is in the first part – motivation and trust. If you are looking to God, trusting him, and saying ‘Lord, I want you to lead me, I want to go where you send me’ then he will make your paths straight. That is, he will make whatever path you choose ‘the right one’.

0 comments: