Thursday, June 02, 2005

Chasing the Dragon

I've just finished reading an old and battered copy of Jackie Pullinger's book that I picked up in a charity shop. I'm trying to decide whether the inspiration I feel from reading it is a 'far-away' inspiration or something I can apply to my life here and now. I don't like to read books like that without coming away with something concrete I can apply to my life right now.
Apart from being amazed at the love and grace in her, the stubborness to continue, I think mostly I was inspired by the simplicity of her faith and attitude to God's grace. Perhaps some of this is in the style of the book, which is matter-of-fact and generally light-hearted in approach. But I was impressed by the confidence in which she prays and puts herself into the middle of the life of the city. I want to pray with that confidence, as Jesus suggested:

"If you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig-tree, but also you can say to this mountain, 'Go throw yourself into the sea,' and it shall be done. If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." (Matt 21:21-22)

And throughout John 14-16, Jesus repeats this idea:
"You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it." (John 14:14)

I was also struck by the many times Jackie tells people (paraphrasing) 'Jesus doesn't expect you to be able to carry on following him in your own power, this is why he gives you the Spirit' - and, with this, her total reliance on the Spirit working in the boys' lives, particularly praying in tongues. A useful reminder. How often is our thirst due to closing ourselves off to those streams of living water..?

0 comments: