Sunday, June 22, 2008

Soup Experiment #1

I've decided I'd like to learn to make more soups.

So last night was my first experiment. I went searching for ingredients in the cupboard and came up with some bacon, half an onion and a bag of continential lentils! And it turned out pretty yummy!

So...

Bacon and Lentil Soup (for lack of a more exciting title!)

2-3 rashers of bacon, chopped
Half an onion, diced
Chicken stock cube
Squeeze of garlic puree
3oz of continental lentils (sludgy green ones)
Seasoning

I 'sweated' the onions down with a little butter in a pan and added the bacon bits when the onions were soft. Once the bacon was cooked I added some balsamic vinegar, a squeeze of garlic, some pepper and a sprinkling of Italian herbs (I wasn't feeling that adventurous!). Meanwhile I brought the lentils to the boil in a separate pan of water, with the chicken stock cube added. The instructions on the lentils packet say to boil the lentils for 10min and then simmer for 20min. So once they had boiled I added them to the cooked bacon and onion mixture and added some more water, then brought it all back to the boil and left it to simmer for 20min.

The result was yummy and could easily have fed 2 or 3 people. Result!

Onto the next one... suggestions welcome!

0 comments: