Monday, June 30, 2008

The Barchester Chronicles

My latest audiobook listen has been 'The Chronicles of Barset', a dramatised version of Anthony Trollope's 'Barchester Chronicles', made by the BBC in the early 90's. The Chronicles is a series of six novels "set in the fictitious cathedral town of Barchester. They concern the dealings of the clergy, the gentry, and the political, amatory, and social maneuverings that go on among and between them." (Thanks to Wikipedia). Despite a slowish beginning it's turned out to be a real delight. I'll have to actually read the books next!

There are some fantastic characters in this series, from the gentle and harmless Warden,
Septimus Harding, (who in this version has an endearing habit of humming softly in difficult moments) to the slimy Mr Slope (boo, hiss!) and the quite brilliant Archdeacon Dr Theophilus Grantly. Dr Thorne is my favourite story out of the six I think, with its predictable but ultimately satisfying ending, but the battles between the formidable Mrs Proudie and the horrible Mr Slope puts Barchester Towers a very close second! After a little deliberation my favourite characters - as in who I actually liked - were Lucy Robarts (who is adorably melodramatic and lively in this version), Dr Thorne and Miss Dunstable (who I warmed to immediately as a kindred spirit!), but I think I managed to resist the much-sought-after Eleanor Bold!

Thoroughly recommended.

0 comments: