Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Church: why bother?

No, I'm not trying to be controversial, that's the title of my half-term-book-of-the-day today (although I should say that this is the first day I've managed it - and potentially the last one!)

This is Philip Yancey's reflection on his own church experiences, and although it's fairly slight and doesn't say much that I haven't gathered already from his other books, he's as readable as ever. I always find Yancey an inspiring read, or at least an affirming one. He asks honest questions and his reflections on genuine God-focused spirituality ring true for me.

However, the foreward by Eugene Peterson is perhaps my favourite part of this book. He relates the story of John Muir climbing a Douglas Fir in a storm, in order to experience the Weather.

He goes onto to talk about spirituality being about lived life, and his inspiration from Muir to "open myself to the Weather, not wanting to miss a detail of this invasion of Life into my life, ready at the drop of a hat to lose my life to save it (Mark 8:35)
"...if there is no readiness to respond to the living God, who moves when and how and where he chooses, it isn't much of a life - the livingness soon leaks out of it"

And two or three thoughts from Yancey that struck me...

On hypocrisy - "one day the question occurred to me, 'What would church look like if every member were just like me?' Properly humbled, I began concentrating on my spirituality, not everyone else's."

On the body of Christ - "As I look around on Sunday morning...I see the risk that God has assumed. For whatever reason, God now reveals himself in the world not through a pillar of smoke and fire, not evern through the physical body of his Son in Galilee, but through the mongrel collection that comprises my local church..."

On the 'saviour complex' - "Nouwen concludes, 'When we can come to realize that our guilt has been taken away and that only God saves, then we are free to serve, then we can live truly humble lives.'"
- (from Helmut Thielicke, on Jesus' ministry) "Though the burden of the whole world lay heavy upon his shoulders...he has time to stop and talk to the individual...for all time is in the hands of his Father. And that too is why peace and not unrest goes out from him."

Actually, this is one of the most interesting sections of the book...a reflection on how ministry in obedience and 'under' God's faithfulness avoids frenzied activity and burnout.

0 comments: