Monday, October 17, 2005

Pullman talks nonsense on Narnia

Like Hilary, I have been reading the debate on the BBC website regarding Philip Pullman's comments on the forthcoming Narnia films.

I've never taken part in one of these 'Have Your Say' moderated debates before and thought i'd have a go at adding my views. I wonder if they'll be 'printed'?

Just in case they're not, I thought i'd put them here instead..:-)

"It's fascinating to hear such a range of views on a subject I didn't realise was so in question. Narnia is a fictional world, and the book tells a fictional story, but like all good stories it contains both the familar and unfamilar. In his books CS Lewis retells the 'big story' and in this sense it's neither a (teaching) parable or a evangelistic tool, but reflects reality as he saw it. Thus the clear parallels between his tale and the Christian story of love and sacrifice and resurrection. Pullman's curious comments about the lack of love in the books remain a mystery...as someone previously commented, Aslan's death reveals a story centred on love: 'What greater love than this, that a man should lay down His life for His friend.'"

0 comments: