Thursday, October 20, 2005

The magic begins

I've just finished reading The Magician's Nephew, part of my plan to read all the Narnia books again over half term. I really enjoyed my escape to that magical world and encountering once more the beauty, strength and grace of the Lion..formidable yet impossible to resist. Aslan is so wonderfully real for me in reflecting the character and majesty of Jesus. As an allegory he works on so many levels and I find so many truths in the reflection..definitely someone I recognise! (is that heretical?!) I find there's something in the character of Aslan that helps me to understand (and worship) something more in the person of Jesus every time that I read it, perhaps the slightly unusual perspective helps...?

Anyway, here's a few of my favourite moments:
- the Lion's song
- Uncle Andrew has tried so hard not to hear that he stops being able to..
- Aslan says he knows the Cabby and asks if he recognises him
- Aslan explains why the fruit the witch took from the Tree will give her endless days but neither real Life nor joy. But the apple he gives Diggory as a gift brings life and healing to his mother.

Enjoyable and lots to consider but it's not the best of the books and I'm looking forward to striking on further... onwards and upwards!

1 comments:

BJ said...

You've listed my favourite bits too. The way Aslan sings the creation seems almost more 'right' than the plain 'said' of Genesis. Though somewhere else it talks about the morning stars singing together for joy. Maybe he set creation singing as he made it. If string theory is right and matter is really just vibration in the end maybe we're still living in that song.