Thursday, September 22, 2005

music meltdown

I was reflecting this evening on the effect music has on me. I love music of all kinds, and I find it hard to pin down any particular type of music as a favourite.

I've discovered that for me, music serves as a kind of emotional and mental warm up, like stretching for physical exercise. Some of that warm up comes from the lyrics of a song, rehearsing situations and emotions, but not all. The music itself, the chords, the melody, the rhythm, has an effect beyond the lyrical content.

I started thinking about this because of the way that music makes me want to pray. I play cds in the car and for a few weeks I've been playing a worship cd which has been really good for me. But recently I've started playing some other, more secular, cds and I've noticed that as soon as the music comes on I immediately relax, my mood improves and I want to pray. Have I just been conditioned?

It's as if it has an almost physical effect on me, a washing over. I can feel it happening! My brain runs more smoothly, my emotions come closer to the surface, I feel happier. I was listening to Rhythm of the Saints on the way home today and the rhythm woke me right up, made me smile..tapping on the steering wheel and bopping away!
All kinds of music have this effect. I've been listening to old cheese, Jars of Clay, Paul Simon...
When i used to go to Planet of Sound weekly, a few years back now, I had some of my best prayer times of the week on the trance floor - strange I know! Dancing has a similar effect on me. Actually, someone lent me an old trance cd recently and I've found it excellent for working to.

Does anyone else have this happen to them?

1 comments:

Seymour said...

Well I don't know but it seems that grapes are affected by music, too - draw a spiritual analogy if you will :-)

Check: This article in the times