Saturday, December 24, 2005

Home thoughts

There's something about coming home to Ilford that makes my 'normal' Durham life just feel like a dream, though of course a good one! I feel detached from the events of only a few days ago, as if they happened to someone else. There's something about fitting into old patterns, and being around people who've known you a long time, which tends to bring out the best and the worst. I'm definitely in post-term collapse as well, which does reduce me to getting through the here and now, and in lowest gear..

What's been interesting this time home has been re-discovering yet again that life here is not where I left it. It's always slightly odd to return home and find that things have changed here as much as things have changed for me in Durham - I expect things to still be the same! At a party here this evening the people I knew were a minority. 3 or 4 people had arrived before someone whose name I knew arrived at the door! I'm glad that my family are busy in their lives and meeting new people, but it's a 'double-take' experience for me each time.

Since I was last home there have been big changes in the garden especially. Dad has built his new shed and it's all shiny new wood planking still. It looks amazing - I'll put up some pictures soon! And it appears massive, although it's a bit of an illusion because it's very wide but not very deep. All in all, I'm impressed and proud to look at it and say 'my dad made this!'

We had the opening ceremony this evening. Everyone came outside and an old friend of dad's cut the ribbon and let everyone in for a 'tour'! The Miller Bear was keeping guard outside, dressed in a santa costume.. looking as marvellous as ever.

0 comments: