Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Making house

I have been pondering recently the mystery of a 'good house' (and i'm not talking about the physical building). What are the things which make a house somewhere you'd want to live?
Something that's really important to me is hospitality, although I'm not always as good as I'd like to be! What makes a house hospitable? What makes it a warm place to be and somewhere you feel comfortable?

Here are some ideas to be starting off with..

  • Values shared by housemates (e.g. hospitality)


  • Full part played by every housemate (rights and responsibilities)


  • Shared ownership (seems important but hard to define exactly what I mean.. something like 'we're in it together')


  • Meals together


  • Joint 'expenses' (food etc)


  • Welcoming guests - whoever has invited them


  • Decisions discussed together and nothing 'assumed' (tricky!)


  • I like to have housemates who look out for me and aren't afraid to challenge me when necessary



  • Any others?

    1 comments:

    Jan said...

    Atmosphere-love, peace, forgiveness, laughter, music, and a candle, or two.