Friday, February 22, 2008

Heroes!

A recent, and most delightful, discovery has been the TV series 'Hornblower'. Completely fantastic! The adventures, the wit and derring-do, the honour, duty and courage, the twinkle in his eye, the floppy hair.... Where have I been since 1998? - or was it 1798?

I'm not sure whether to read the books or not - Ioan Gruffudd is so perfect in the TV series that it's hard to imagine anything different!



I knew by the end of the first episode that Horatio Hornblower would be joining my 'list' of favourite fictional characters. But it got me thinking as to who else might also be on it!

So here goes, my first draft at a list of favourite fictional characters heroes:

In no particular order,

Horatio Hornblower (as played by Ioan Gruffudd)
Captain Jean Luc Picard
Constable Benton Fraser (Due South)
President Bartlett (plus the rest of the cast of The West Wing!)
Mr Spock
Anne Shirley (as played by Megan Follows)
Jo March (Little Women)
Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen gets it!) - plus Gandalf, Legolas and the others!
Sir Lancelot

On the B list are:
King Arthur (Sean Connery's, obviously)
Robin Hood (I think Kevin Costner's wins)
Spiderman (Tobey Maguire) - he's so sweet!
Mr Darcy (hmm, difficult to decide which one)
Princess Leah, Han Solo and Luke Skywalker
Buffy Summers
Captain Carrot (from the Terry Pratchett books!)
Sherlock Holmes
Elinor Dashwood

Hmm, I notice they're almost all TV characters so far! And by far the majority, men :) And a good number of men in uniform as well... I'm so predictable...hehe.

I'm sure I need some more 'intellectual' choices... any suggestions, anyone?

0 comments: