Friday, January 26, 2007

Comedic scenes in Matthew

A curious title, you say?
Surely Holy Scripture is not allowed to make you laugh...?

A couple of scenes in Matthew's Gospel have made me chuckle recently.

Matt 14.51
Jesus has been telling parables about the kingdom of God - the mustard seed, the yeast, the pearl, the seed in the field, the hidden treasure and the net... It's not his plainest teaching, put it that way. He comes to the end..
"Have you understood all these things?" Jesus asked.
"Yes," they replied.

Try reading all these parables out loud to someone, with all their varying scenes and images, and then coming to the end with this verse. Tell me it doesn't pull you up chuckling, raising your eyebrow and going 'Oh, really?' I can imagine them nodding vigorously in response, "Yes, absolutely, like a pearl, yes, that makes complete sense. It always reminded me of a net..." It reminds me of times when I was teaching and I'd stupidly ask the class, "Does that make sense? Do you understand?" If I got any response at all it would be nodding heads and confident expressions. Did they have any idea what I was talking about? No.

Matt 16.5-12
Jesus and the disciples are in a boat, crossing the lake. But the disciples have forgotten to bring bread. Perhaps they're blaming each other, or sitting shame-faced. Jesus tells them, "Be on your guard against the yeast of the Pharisees and Sadducees." The disciples are convinced he's telling them off for forgetting the bread and they discuss it among themselves. (It makes you wonder if Jesus is playing with them, but his serious response in v.8 probably rules that one out!) I like that the disciples found Jesus just as cryptic as we often do! It's hard to imagine Matthew writing this without a smile on his face.


Anyone got any more?

0 comments: