Monday, August 29, 2005

Weekend wanderings

2 days, 420 miles, 3 cities, 4 highly secret locations, 7 friends, 2 farm vehicles, 3 dogs, 2 'detours' and almost 9 hrs in the car....a most excellent weekend!

Saturday morning, after a slightly hurried start, I made my way to my friend Caroline's farm in Suffolk. The A12 is not the fastest road in the world and this was the longest section of my trip by far. Lovely to be back in round bale land...highlights were rides in the combine harvester and the tractor (didn't drive it this time though!).

Then onwards to Cambridge and Susie's house. Time to quiz (and congratulate!) Jon on his engagement to Anastasia..and generally catch up with the Cambridge gossip.

Sunday morning found me on my way to Lincolnshire, to lunch with some old friends of the family, Judy and Roland. I caught up with Judy, read Roland's sermon (and managed to say the right things), had a yummy lunch, acquired an excellent painting and was off again, this time to York.

Stopped by to see Sherv's new house, the main challenge being to find it! Then, it was time to call an end to my wanderings and get back on the A1..homeward bound. Arrived at the Bonnington's just before 8 for a lovely evening catching up with Durham folks and a late game of Catan.


Things I found out:
- How Jon proposed
- Straw bales in Lincolnshire are square, not round
- The secret location of Sherv's cottage
- A combine harvester is a rather splendid piece of machinery
- Judy paints some excellent watercolour pictures

1 comments:

cfg said...

Hehe, no. Jon Sanders!